Excellent!!! My kids (and father-in-law) are not dates or nuts fans, so I omitted those - but this is my new favorite cinnamon roll recipe. Made Christmas morning breakfast super special. My youngest - who does not have a big appetite - ate four!
Cinnamon-Date-Pecan Rolls with Maple Glaze
These frosted sweet rolls make a delectable breakfast or holiday brunch offering.
Yield: 18 rolls (serving size: 1 roll)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 226
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 3.2g
- Carbohydrate: 43.4g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 96mg
- Calcium: 21mg
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 3/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (about 14 1/2 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- To prepare dough, dissolve 1 teaspoon granulated sugar and yeast in 3/4 cup warm water; let stand 5 minutes. Combine 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons butter, salt, and egg in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Gradually add 3 cups flour to yeast mixture, beating mixture on low speed until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. Punch dough down; turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- To prepare filling, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and rind in a small bowl. Roll dough into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle; brush with 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle dates and pecans over sugar mixture. Beginning with a long side, roll up jelly-roll fashion; pinch seam to seal (do not seal ends of roll). Cut roll into 18 (1/2-inch) slices. Place slices, cut sides up, in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, about 1 hour or until rolls have doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Uncover dough. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until rolls are golden brown.
- To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar, syrup, and milk in a small bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. Drizzle glaze over warm rolls. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note