This was a five star dish. I made 6 apples in a 13X9 baking dish. After they baked, I split the apples in half and served them with vanilla bean ice cream. Everyone raved about them. I will make this again and again. Yummy!
Cinnamon-Caramel Apple Dumplings With Golden Raisins
We baked these in cast-iron skillets, but a 13- x 9-inch baking dish works just as well. See our directions at the end of the recipe.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 25 Minutes
- 1 (15-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 6 large Rome or Granny Smith apples, cored
- 6 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- Garnish: golden raisins
- 1. Unroll piecrusts onto a lightly floured surface; cut dough into 12 (10- x 1-inch) strips, reserving dough scraps for later use. Crisscross 2 strips of dough on surface, forming an "X". Place 1 apple in center of "X". Spoon 1 Tbsp. raisins into apple core, pressing raisins to compact. Pull strips up and over apple, pressing dough into core; trim off excess, if necessary. Repeat with remaining piecrust strips, apples, and raisins.
- 2. Reroll remaining dough scraps. Cut leaf shapes from dough using a paring knife. Gently score designs in leaves using knife.
- 3. Stir together egg and 1 Tbsp. water; brush dough strips on apples with egg mixture. Gently press leaves onto dough strips at top of apples; brush leaves with egg mixture.
- 4. Whisk together melted butter and next 4 ingredients; pour mixture into 6 (6-inch) cast-iron skillets. Place 1 apple in center of each skillet.
- 5. Bake at 425° for 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown, shielding apple tops with aluminum foil after 15 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Remove from oven. Press 1 cinnamon stick into center of each apple to resemble a stem. Drizzle sauce in skillets over apples. Garnish, if desired.
- To bake in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 3. Whisk together melted butter and next 4 ingredients; pour mixture into baking dish. Place apples in baking dish. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note