This was a five star dish. I made 6 apples in a 13X9 baking dish. After they baked, I split the apples in half and served them with vanilla bean ice cream. Everyone raved about them. I will make this again and again. Yummy!
Cinnamon-Caramel Apple Dumplings With Golden Raisins
More From Southern Living
Bake: 25 Minutes
- 1 (15-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 6 large Rome or Granny Smith apples, cored
- 6 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- Garnish: golden raisins
- 1. Unroll piecrusts onto a lightly floured surface; cut dough into 12 (10- x 1-inch) strips, reserving dough scraps for later use. Crisscross 2 strips of dough on surface, forming an "X". Place 1 apple in center of "X". Spoon 1 Tbsp. raisins into apple core, pressing raisins to compact. Pull strips up and over apple, pressing dough into core; trim off excess, if necessary. Repeat with remaining piecrust strips, apples, and raisins.
- 2. Reroll remaining dough scraps. Cut leaf shapes from dough using a paring knife. Gently score designs in leaves using knife.
- 3. Stir together egg and 1 Tbsp. water; brush dough strips on apples with egg mixture. Gently press leaves onto dough strips at top of apples; brush leaves with egg mixture.
- 4. Whisk together melted butter and next 4 ingredients; pour mixture into 6 (6-inch) cast-iron skillets. Place 1 apple in center of each skillet.
- 5. Bake at 425° for 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown, shielding apple tops with aluminum foil after 15 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Remove from oven. Press 1 cinnamon stick into center of each apple to resemble a stem. Drizzle sauce in skillets over apples. Garnish, if desired.
- To bake in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 3. Whisk together melted butter and next 4 ingredients; pour mixture into baking dish. Place apples in baking dish. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts