I LOVE this recipe...they are absolutely divine! I agree that while they look beautiful, it was hard to cut them without falling apart. I will try and bake in a loaf pan instead. Great recipe!
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Fonda Shaia
Yield: 2 loaves, 12 servings per loaf (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 198
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 3.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 38.5g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 239mg
- Calcium: 38mg
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 2/3 cups warm fat-free milk (100° to 110°)
- 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, melted
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large egg yolks
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves, melted
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, softened
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To prepare bread, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar in warm milk in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup butter, vanilla, and egg yolks. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Add 4 1/2 cups flour, 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, and salt to yeast mixture; stir to form a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. Punch dough down, and let rest 5 minutes. Divide in half. Working with one portion at a time (cover the remaining dough to keep from drying), roll each portion into a 14 x 7-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle each dough portion with half of brown sugar mixture, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Roll up each dough rectangle tightly, starting with a short edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets, and pinch seams and ends to seal. Cut each dough roll crosswise into 3 pieces. Place 3 pieces, cut sides up, into each of 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover dough, and bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until loaves are browned on bottoms and sound hollow when tapped. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack, and remove from pans. Brush tops of loaves with melted preserves. Cool loaves on rack.
- To prepare the glaze, beat 1 tablespoon butter at low speed of a mixer until creamy. Add remaining ingredients, beating just until blended. Spread over tops of loaves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This