I LOVE this recipe...they are absolutely divine! I agree that while they look beautiful, it was hard to cut them without falling apart. I will try and bake in a loaf pan instead. Great recipe!
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Fonda Shaia
Yield: 2 loaves, 12 servings per loaf (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 198
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 3.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 38.5g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 239mg
- Calcium: 38mg
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 2/3 cups warm fat-free milk (100° to 110°)
- 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, melted
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large egg yolks
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves, melted
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, softened
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To prepare bread, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar in warm milk in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup butter, vanilla, and egg yolks. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Add 4 1/2 cups flour, 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, and salt to yeast mixture; stir to form a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. Punch dough down, and let rest 5 minutes. Divide in half. Working with one portion at a time (cover the remaining dough to keep from drying), roll each portion into a 14 x 7-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle each dough portion with half of brown sugar mixture, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Roll up each dough rectangle tightly, starting with a short edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets, and pinch seams and ends to seal. Cut each dough roll crosswise into 3 pieces. Place 3 pieces, cut sides up, into each of 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover dough, and bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until loaves are browned on bottoms and sound hollow when tapped. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack, and remove from pans. Brush tops of loaves with melted preserves. Cool loaves on rack.
- To prepare the glaze, beat 1 tablespoon butter at low speed of a mixer until creamy. Add remaining ingredients, beating just until blended. Spread over tops of loaves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note