Well, I'm about 3 years late, but Kathy19 if you're still reading, I tweaked this successfully for altitude (Boulder, CO) as follows: Subtract 1 tablespoon sugar, add 1 tablespoon flour, subtract 1/8 teaspoon baking powder, after all blended together but before adding the apples, add 2 teaspoons of water and blend well. Pour into an 8 inch spring form. Heat oven to 375 and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce to 350 and bake for another 55 - 65 minutes (check after 35 as I need to cover mine to be sure the top doesn't burn). Remove once cake has clearly shrunk from sides of pan & hope it doesn't fall! Mine hasn't yet with these tweaks but I still get anxious every time. Wonderful recipe.
This 5-star cinnamon apple cake is one of our best-ever recipes and can be served as dessert or a breakfast coffee cake. The cream cheese in the batter gives the cake lots of moisture.
Yield: 12 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 281
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 46.3g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 39mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 234mg
- Calcium: 89mg
- 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup stick margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups chopped peeled Rome apple (about 2 large)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat 1 1/2 cups sugar, margarine, vanilla, and cream cheese at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 4 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Combine 2 tablespoons cinnamon mixture and apple in a bowl, and stir apple mixture into batter. Pour batter into an 8-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cool the cake completely on a wire rack, and cut using a serrated knife.
- Note: You can also make this cake in a 9-inch square cake pan or a 9-inch springform pan; just reduce the cooking time by 5 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch