Cinderella Fantasy Cake
Photo: Charles Walton; Styling: Trinda Gage
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 259
- Fat: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 190mg
- 1 recipe Basic Meringue Mixture
- 1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 to 2 drops red food coloring
- 1 to 2 drops green food coloring
- 12 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 to 1 1/4 teaspoons almond extract
- Italian Meringue Frosting
- Divide Basic Meringue Mixture into thirds. Whisk 1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring into first portion, 1 to 2 drops red food coloring into second portion, and 1 to 2 drops green food coloring into third portion. Spoon each portion into a decorating bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe 12 (1-inch) mounds of each color onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 200° for 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours; turn oven off. Let meringues stand in closed oven with light on 8 hours.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with electric mixer until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Fold in almond extract, and spoon into a wax paper-lined 12-inch cake- or springform pan.
- Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on a wire rack 40 minutes. Run a thin metal spatula around cake edges to loosen; remove from pan, and peel off wax paper.
- Spread Italian Meringue Frosting on top and sides of cake. Mound meringue rounds on top of cake.
- Note: A zip-top plastic bag may be used for piping. Spoon meringue into bags. Snip a hole in 1 corner of bags; pipe meringues.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cinderella Fantasy Cake Recipe at a Glance