Cinco de Mayo Shrimp Cocktail
More From Southern Living
- 4 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water
- 30 unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Garnish: lime slices
- Lime-flavored tortilla chips
- Process first 10 ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Cover and chill sauce up to 1 week.
- Bring 6 cups water to a boil; add shrimp, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Drain and rinse with cold water. Chill up to 24 hours, if desired.
- Peel shrimp, leaving tails on; devein, if desired.
- Stir avocado into sauce; spoon sauce evenly into 6 chilled martini glasses or small bowls. Arrange 5 shrimp around edge of each glass; garnish, if desired. Serve with lime-flavored tortilla chips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers