Ciabatta French Toast with Warm Apple Maple Syrup from Cooking Light
Community Recipe from
- 1/4 cup(s) apple cider
- 1 teaspoon(s) cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon(s) butter
- 2 tablespoon(s) finely chopped shallots
- 2 cup(s) sliced McIntosh apples
- 1/4 cup(s) maple syrup
- 6 (2 oz) slice(s) ciabatta bread
- 3 ounce(s) gruyere cheese cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup(s) fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 4 teaspoon(s) butter divided
- 3 tablespoon(s) chopped pecans toasted
- 1. Combine cider and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Melt 2 teaspoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add the cider mixture, apples, and syrup to pan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low; cook 3 minutes or until apples begin to soften, stirring occasionally. Set aside, and keep warm.
- 2. Cut a horizontal slit through bottom crust of each bread slice to form a pocket; stuff 1/2 ounce cheese evenly into each pocket. Combine milk, buttermilk, and next 5 ingredients (through egg white) in a shallow dish, stirring well with a whisk. Working with one stuffed bread slice at a time, place bread slice into milk mixture, turning gently to coat both sides.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 2 teaspoons butter in pan. Add 3 coated bread slices to pan, and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 teaspoons butter and remaining 3 coated bread slices.
- 4. Place 1 French toast slice onto each of 6 plates; top each serving with about 3 tablespoons sauce and 1 1/2 teaspoons pecans.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by marybillingsley and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Ciabatta French Toast with Warm Apple Maple Syrup from Cooking Light Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breakfast/Brunch
More Recipes for Main Dishes