Tastes like poop. The appearance-smell-taste combo is way off. If you make it... Do not use cheese, or onions. They are weird. This is French Toast not a dinner casserole.
Ciabatta French Toast with Warm Apple Maple Syrup
Photo: John Kernick; Styling: Paige Hicks
More From Cooking Light
Total: 35 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 373
- Fat: 14.3g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 12.8g
- Carbohydrate: 51.3g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 57mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 607mg
- Calcium: 205mg
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 cups sliced McIntosh apples
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 6 (2-ounce) slices ciabatta bread
- 3 ounces Gruyère cheese, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 1. Combine cider and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Melt 2 teaspoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add the cider mixture, apples, and syrup to pan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low; cook 3 minutes or until apples begin to soften, stirring occasionally. Set aside, and keep warm.
- 2. Cut a horizontal slit through bottom crust of each bread slice to form a pocket; stuff 1/2 ounce cheese evenly into each pocket. Combine fat-free milk, buttermilk, and next 5 ingredients (through egg white) in a shallow dish, stirring well with a whisk. Working with 1 stuffed bread slice at a time, place bread slice into milk mixture, turning gently to coat both sides.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 2 teaspoons butter in pan. Add 3 coated bread slices to pan, and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 teaspoons butter and remaining 3 coated bread slices.
- 4. Place 1 French toast slice onto each of 6 plates; top each serving with about 3 tablespoons sauce and 1 1/2 teaspoons pecans.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads