- 1/2 cup raisins or dried currants
- About 1/2 cup Major Grey or other fruit chutney
- 3/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (regular or nonfat)
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 cups cooked basmati or other long-grain white rice, warm or cold
- 2 cups diced (1/2 in.) cooked boned, skinned chicken or turkey
- 3 to 4 cups butter lettuce leaves, rinsed and crisped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted, salted almonds
- 1 cup thinly sliced or diced bananas
- About 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes, rinsed and halved
- Hot sauce
- calories 725
- caloriesfromfat 32 %
- protein 31 g
- fat 26 g
- satfat 8.3 g
- carbohydrate 93 g
- fiber 4.9 g
- sodium 584 mg
- cholesterol 82 mg
How to Make It
In an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, stir raisins until puffy, about 4 minutes (see notes); take care to avoid scorching. Pour into a small bowl.
With scissors, snip through 1/2 cup chutney to cut apart large pieces of fruit; scrape into a large bowl. Add sour cream, shallot, and curry powder; mix well. Add rice and chicken and mix well, adding salt to taste.
Line four wide, shallow bowls with lettuce leaves; mound chicken salad on lettuce and spread it out slightly.
Arrange raisins, almonds, bananas, and cilantro decoratively on chicken salad; set a lime half on the side of each salad. Serve with additional chutney, salt, and hot sauce to add to taste.