Chunky Tomato 'n' Grilled Corn Bisque
This 2006 cook-off finalist tomato soup recipe features amazing flavor from the addition of fresh grilled corn, blue cheese and basil.
More From Southern Living
Grill: 12 Minutes
Stand: 5 Minutes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 (28-oz.) can peeled whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons DOMINO Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon MCCORMICK Gourmet Collection Mediterranean Basil Leaves
- 2 (14-oz.) cans chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream, divided
- 3 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 ears fresh corn, husks removed
- CRISCO No-Stick Cooking Spray
- Garnish: fresh basil sprigs
- 1. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter with oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add shallots, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until shallots are tender. Stir in garlic and tomato paste, and sauté 1 minute. Add tomatoes, sugar, and basil, and sauté 3 minutes.
- 2. Add chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; uncover and simmer, stirring often, 30 minutes. Stir in 3/4 cup cream, and simmer, stirring often, 15 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, combine crumbled blue cheese and remaining 3 Tbsp. butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 25 seconds or until cheese melts. Whisk until well blended. Brush mixture evenly onto corn.
- 4. Coat a cold cooking grate with cooking spray, and place on grill over medium-high heat (350° to 400°). Arrange corn on cooking grate, and grill 12 minutes, turning every 3 minutes or until done. Let stand 5 minutes. Hold each grilled cob upright on a cutting board, and carefully cut downward, cutting kernels from cob. Discard cobs. Stir kernels into soup.
- 5. Ladle soup into bowls, and drizzle evenly with remaining cream. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This