- 1 (3-pound) broiler-fryer, cut up and skinned
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 celery tops
- 2 cups water
- 2 ounces uncooked medium egg noodles
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chicken-flavored bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Additional coarsely ground black pepper (optional)
- calories 204
- caloriesfromfat 0.0 %
- fat 6.9 g
- satfat 1.9 g
- monofat 0.0 g
- polyfat 0.0 g
- protein 25.4 g
- carbohydrate 9.1 g
- fiber 1 g
- cholesterol 82 mg
- iron 0.0 mg
- sodium 358 mg
- calcium 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Combine first 5 ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth, discarding celery and reserving broth.
Skim fat from broth. Add 2 cups water and next 8 ingredients to broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
Bone and chop chicken; add to broth mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Discard bay leaf. Ladle soup into bowls, and sprinkle with additional pepper, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.