Good flavor. The other reviewers are right about the batter being thick, like cookie batter (wait, should I try making cookies?). Also, I'd chunk the apples instead of slicing, or slice the slices in half cross-wise. I used my hands to mix the apples & walnuts into the dough/batter, it's far too thick for stirring. I'd also cut back on the cooking time, maybe mine was a little overdone because the pan was dark nonstick. Finally, the cake is very sweet, so I'd skip the frosting as it is absolutely NOT needed.
Chunky Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
- Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl until blended.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, stirring until blended. Stir in apple slices and 1 cup walnuts. Spread into a greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Spread with Cream Cheese Frosting; sprinkle with walnuts, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings