Velvet log cake
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 4 whole(s) eggs
- 3/4 cup(s) sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanila
- 11/2 bottle(s) red food coloring
- 3/4 cup(s) cake & pastery flour
- 2 tablespoon(s) non sweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) vinegar
- 1 package(s) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup(s) Mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup(s) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
- 2 tablespoon(s) kirsch optional
- 1 cup(s) icing sugar approx.
- sugar crystal (wilton type)
- 1 cup(s) sufar
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) tartar cream
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
- CAKE PREPARATION
- 1. In bowl with electric mixer, beat eggs & sugar 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is pale or until thick enough to form ribbons when lifted with whip
- -Add buttermilk vanilla & food coloring beating slowly.
- -In another bowl mix flour, cocoa & salt, sift dry ingredients in 3 shots on egg mixture while lifting delicately the mass after each addition
- - in small bowl mix baking powder and vinegar (mixture will be foamy)
- - Pour this mixture in cake batter and incorporate while lifting delicately the masse
- 2. Spread batter in a 12"x17" sheet oiled and covered with wax paper, batter must be sleek with the aid of a metal spatula
- Bake in middle of oven for 12 to 15 minutes @ 350F (180C) or when cake springs back with pressure
- Place mold on rack and let cool 10 minutes
- 3. Detach sides of cake from mold with knife, Turn cake on a clean dish towel dusted with sugar. Remove was paper carefully from cake. Roll cake in towel . Cool completely.
- GARNISH PREPARATION
- 4. In the meantime in a big bowl with mixer, beat cream cheese and mascarpone cheese and butter until creamy and sleek. Incorporate vanilla and kirsch, Add icing sugar, enough to have the consistency of icing. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- CAKE ASSEMBLY
- 5. Delicately unroll the cake. With a metal spatula spread garnish on cake leaving 1/2 inch on sides. Starting at one end and using the cloth as a guide thightly roll cake. Wrap in saran wrap. Refrigirate untilready to serve. Remove from fridge 1 hour before serving. Sprinkle crystal sugar.
- or cover with Italian meringue icing.
- MERINGUE PREPARATION
- 1. In s small casserole, dissolve sugar in water on medium heat,stirring. When sugar is dissolved bring to a boil on high heat, without stirring, until it reaches 235F on thermometer.
- 2. In the meantime beat egg white with tartar cream beating at low speed for 1 minute and increase speed until it makes soft peaks. Incorporate vanilla.
- Pour syrup in strings on egg white and continue beating for 6 to 8 minutes or until meringue is cooled. With a metal spatula cover cake .
This recipe is a personal recipe added by momcooking and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note