- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 to 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
How to Make It
Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Dissolve soda in water; add to creamed mixture, mixing well. Combine remaining ingredients; add to creamed mixture, mixing well. Divide dough in half; wrap in waxed paper, and chill at least 1 hour.
Roll half of dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; keep remaining dough chilled. Cut dough with assorted cookie cutters. Bake on lightly greased baking sheets at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on wire racks.