I would not even try this recipe! Boling anything in plastic wrap will kill us. The chemicals in the wrap will leech into the meat.
Chorizo and Plantain-Stuffed Chicken
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 389
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 45.6g
- Carbohydrate: 23.8g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 117mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 768mg
- Calcium: 32mg
- 1 teaspoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 soft black plantain (about 1/2 pound), cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 cup (about 3 ounces) finely chopped chorizo (such as Goya brand)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped poblano chile
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3 quarts water
- 1/2 cup green salsa
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and plantain; cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add chorizo, poblano, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cook 4 minutes or until plantain is very soft. Place plantain mixture in a bowl; mash with a fork. Cool 10 minutes.
- Slice each breast half lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Open halves, laying breast flat. Place each breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Divide plantain mixture into 4 equal portions; spoon each portion down center of each breast half, leaving a 1/2-inch border at each end. Fold sides over filling.
- Place a 2-foot-long sheet of heavy-duty plastic wrap on a work surface with 1 long side hanging over the counter's edge by 2 inches. Place a stuffed breast half, seam side down, on the end farthest from you, and tightly roll the breast toward you, jelly-roll fashion. Twist the ends in opposite directions to form a cylinder. Tie plastic wrap in tight knots against the breast half on each end. Trim off excess wrap close to the knot. Place a second 2-foot-long sheet of heavy-duty plastic wrap on the work surface; place rolled chicken on wrap, and repeat procedure. Repeat with the remaining chicken breast halves.
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large stockpot; add chicken. Simmer 15 minutes (do not boil), turning occasionally. Remove from water, and let stand 10 minutes before unwrapping and cutting into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Serve with salsa; sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This