I would not even try this recipe! Boling anything in plastic wrap will kill us. The chemicals in the wrap will leech into the meat.
Chorizo and Plantain-Stuffed Chicken
We enjoyed the Caribbean flair of this dish. Sweet plantain balances the mild spiciness of the chorizo and poblano pepper. Be sure plantains are very ripe. Serve with yellow rice.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed breast half, 2 tablespoons salsa, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 389
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 45.6g
- Carbohydrate: 23.8g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 117mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 768mg
- Calcium: 32mg
- 1 teaspoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 soft black plantain (about 1/2 pound), cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 cup (about 3 ounces) finely chopped chorizo (such as Goya brand)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped poblano chile
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3 quarts water
- 1/2 cup green salsa
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and plantain; cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add chorizo, poblano, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cook 4 minutes or until plantain is very soft. Place plantain mixture in a bowl; mash with a fork. Cool 10 minutes.
- Slice each breast half lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Open halves, laying breast flat. Place each breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Divide plantain mixture into 4 equal portions; spoon each portion down center of each breast half, leaving a 1/2-inch border at each end. Fold sides over filling.
- Place a 2-foot-long sheet of heavy-duty plastic wrap on a work surface with 1 long side hanging over the counter's edge by 2 inches. Place a stuffed breast half, seam side down, on the end farthest from you, and tightly roll the breast toward you, jelly-roll fashion. Twist the ends in opposite directions to form a cylinder. Tie plastic wrap in tight knots against the breast half on each end. Trim off excess wrap close to the knot. Place a second 2-foot-long sheet of heavy-duty plastic wrap on the work surface; place rolled chicken on wrap, and repeat procedure. Repeat with the remaining chicken breast halves.
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large stockpot; add chicken. Simmer 15 minutes (do not boil), turning occasionally. Remove from water, and let stand 10 minutes before unwrapping and cutting into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Serve with salsa; sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes