- 1 head romaine lettuce (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut into 1-inch squares (about 3 quarts)
- 1/4 pound sliced pepperoni, chopped
- 1/3 cup drained sliced pimientos (one 4-ounce jar)
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 cups drained, rinsed, and chopped canned artichoke hearts (one 15-ounce can), or 1 1/2 cups pitted and chopped green or black olives
- 3 tablespoons red- or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
How to Make It
In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the romaine, pepperoni, pimientos, onion, and the artichoke hearts or olives. Toss to combine.
Add the vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, and Parmesan to the bowl. Toss thoroughly to combine the ingredients.
• Use chopped salami or prosciutto instead of the pepperoni.
• Add some chopped pepperoncini to spice up the salad.
• Try a cup of drained and rinsed canned chickpeas instead of the artichoke hearts.
• Diced provolone cheese would make a nice addition.
• Stir in about a third of a cup of thin-sliced basil leaves.
Wine Recommendation: The Piedmontese drink more of their native barbera than they do any other wine because its crisp acidity and bright blackberry flavors are at home with so many dishes. Try a Barbera d'Alba with this salad and you may become a convert yourself.