this cake is excellent. moist, flavorful, easy to make. the creme anglaise is particularly nice, it sets the gingerbread on a more elegant plain.
Cholly's World-Famous Gingerbread Cake
This dark, moist gingerbread cake is a favorite of guests at the Vista Verde Ranch in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, where it's cut into rounds and set on a pool of custard sauce. You can make the cake up to 2 days ahead; cool, cover, and store airtight at room temperature.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 378
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Protein: 4.7g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Carbohydrate: 67g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Sodium: 526mg
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Crème anglaise
- Unsweetened cocoa and/or powdered sugar (optional)
- Fresh mint sprigs (optional), rinsed
- 1. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over high heat, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in molasses and baking soda. After mixture stops foaming, stir in 1/2 cup cold water; let cool to room temperature, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and cloves.
- 3. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and brown sugar until well blended. Beat in eggs until blended. Reduce speed to medium-low. Add flour and molasses mixtures alternately until incorporated, then beat on high speed until well blended. Pour into a buttered and floured 9-inch square pan.
- 4. Bake in a 325° regular or convection oven until a toothpick inserted in center of thickest part comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool in pan on a rack at least 1 1/4 hours.
- 5. Pour about 1/4 cup crème anglaise onto each plate. Cut cake into pieces (see notes) and set them in sauce on plates. If desired, lightly sift cocoa and/or powdered sugar over each plate and garnish with a mint sprig. Offer remaining crème anglaise to add to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note