The cakes are moist and tasty. The icing was a bit runny; next time I will decrease the amount of milk.
Chocolate Zucchini Cakes
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Heather Chadduck
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 45 Minutes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup whole buttermilk
- 2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini (about 2 medium)
- 1 (4-oz.) semisweet chocolate baking bar, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 (5- x 3-inch) disposable aluminum foil loaf pans, lightly greased
- Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Sift together flour and next 4 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir zucchini and next 2 ingredients into batter until blended. Spoon batter into lightly greased loaf pans, filling two-thirds full.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pans on wire racks (about 1 hour).
- 3. Prepare Chocolate Fudge Frosting. Spoon hot frosting over cooled cakes (about 1/4 cup each); cool completely (about 30 minutes).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note