Chocolate Yeast Cake
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- Chocolate Icing
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a small bowl: set aside.
- Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add melted chocolate; beat well.
- Combine flour and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition. Stir in yeast mixture and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Dissolve soda in hot water; add to refrigerated batter, and stir until well combined.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 8-inch cake pans. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove layers from pans, and let cool completely.
- Spread Chocolate Icing between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note