OK, first, I am not an experienced candy maker, so this was a little challenging. I think I cooked it for too long on too low a heat--took a long time to get up to 325. The toffee and the chocolate was delicious--but I would NOT coat a whole apple. Do apple slices or something. It was almost impossible to get your mouth around it -- we used smallish apples, but the toffee was so hard our teeth could not bit through it. Also, if you skip the pecans, spray wax paper with pam.
This must try dessert-on-a-stick is party ready and sure to leave your guests with a sweet taste in their mouths.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour
- Calories: 311
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 1.6g
- Carbohydrate: 55.8g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 49mg
- Calcium: 29mg
- 12 small Honeycrisp or other firm red apples
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1. Rinse apples; dry well to remove waxy residue. Insert a craft stick into stem end of each apple. Place pecans in a shallow dish.
- 2. Combine sugars and the next 4 ingredients (through butter) in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring just until sugar dissolves, and bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reaches 325° or until syrup begins to caramelize. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and salt.
- 3. Working quickly with 1 apple at a time and holding apple by its stick, dip in caramel mixture, tilting pan and turning apple to mostly coat apple; allow excess to drip off. Quickly dip apple in pecans. Place apple, stick side up, on a cooling rack; let stand until set. Place chocolate in a microwave-safe dish; microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until melted, stirring every 20 seconds until smooth. Drizzle chocolate over apples. Let stand until set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note