Chocolate Tiramisù Charlotte
Every holiday dinner needs a luscious chocolate dessert. This one can be made ahead and can sit out awhile before serving.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 8 Hours, 20 Minutes
- 1 round bakery pound cake
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso granules
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup Kahlúa or sweet marsala wine, divided
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, divided
- 1 1/2 (8-ounce) containers mascarpone cheese*
- 1 1/4 cups (8 ounces) double chocolate morsels, divided (we tested with Ghirardelli)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Garnishes: sweetened whipped cream, coarsely chopped chocolate-covered coffee beans
- Slice enough pound cake to get 18 (1/3") slices. Line sides and bottom of an ungreased 9" springform pan with 12 to 14 slices of pound cake. Set remaining pound cake aside. Dissolve espresso in 3/4 cup boiling water; stir in 1/4 cup Kahlúa. Brush pound cake with 3/4 cup espresso mixture, setting aside remaining 1/4 cup espresso mixture.
- Whisk together 6 egg whites and 3/4 cup sugar in top of a double boiler; place over simmering water, and cook, whisking often, until mixture reaches 160°. Transfer egg white mixture to a large bowl; beat at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water in a saucepan; let soften 1 minute. Cook over medium heat, stirring until gelatin dissolves. Add 1/4 cup whipping cream; set aside.
- Whisk together 6 egg yolks, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and remaining 1/4 cup Kahlúa in top of double boiler. Place over simmering water, and cook, whisking often, until mixture reaches 160°. Remove bowl, and beat at medium speed with a handheld electric mixer until thick and pale. Add mascarpone cheese and gelatin mixture, beating until smooth. Fold in about 1 cup meringue; fold in remaining meringue. Spoon half of mascarpone mixture into springform pan. Top with remaining pound cake slices; brush pound cake slices with remaining 1/4 cup espresso mixture.
- Place half of chocolate morsels in a glass bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 1/2 minutes; stir until smooth and slightly cool. Add 1/2 cup mascarpone mixture, stirring until smooth; fold into remaining mascarpone mixture. Spoon chocolate mascarpone mixture into springform pan. Chill 20 minutes or until slightly firm on top.
- Combine remaining chocolate morsels, remaining 1/4 cup whipping cream, and butter in a small glass bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 1/2 minutes. Stir until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Spoon chocolate ganache over top of dessert, spreading to edges with a small offset spatula. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- Before serving, run a knife around edge of pan to release sides. Remove Charlotte to a serving plate; let stand 20 minutes. Garnish, if desired.
- *Substitute 12 ounces cream cheese if you can't find mascarpone cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note