Very good. I was looking for a very chocolate cookie and this one is perfect. Easy to work with and most important holds it shape.
Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Create unlimited cookie variations with these chocolate sugar cookies.
More From Southern Living
Chill: 10 Minutes
Bake: 10 Minutes
Cool: 35 Minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg, beating until blended.
- 2. Combine flour, cocoa, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating just until blended.
- 3. Divide dough into 2 equal portions; flatten each portion into a disk. Cover and chill 10 minutes.
- 4. Place 1 portion of dough on a lightly floured surface, and roll to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with a 3- or 4 1/2-inch butterfly-shaped cutter. Place cookies 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Repeat procedure with remaining dough portion.
- 5. Bake, in batches, at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes (for 3-inch cookies) and 15 to 17 minutes (for 4 1/2-inch cookies) or until edges are lightly browned. Let cool on baking sheets 5 minutes; remove to wire racks, and let cool 30 minutes or until completely cool. Decorate baked cookies as desired.
- Vanilla Sugar Cookies: Omit unsweetened cocoa. Increase flour to 3 cups. Beat in 1 tsp. vanilla extract with butter in Step 1. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note