PREP AND COOK TIME: 30 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 363
- Calories from fat: 50%
- Protein: 9.5g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 9.6g
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sodium: 68mg
- Cholesterol: 213mg
- 1 cup chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (6 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons milk or whipping cream
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Powdered sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream
- 1. Lightly butter four ramekins (2/3-cup size, deep or shallow). Set ramekins in a shallow, 10- by 15-inch baking pan.
- 2. Combine chocolate and milk in a microwave-safe bowl; heat at full power (100%) in a microwave oven at 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until chocolate is melted and smooth, 30 seconds to 1 minute total. Let stand.
- 3. In a large bowl, with a mixer at high speed, whip egg whites until they form a dense foam, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle in 1/4 cup of the sugar and beat until whites hold short, distinct peaks, 1 to 4 minutes. Scrape into another bowl.
- 4. In mixer bowl, whip egg yolks at high speed until they begin to thicken, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and continue beating until yolks are very thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Add melted chocolate and beat until well blended.
- 5. Add about a third of the egg whites to egg yolk and chocolate mixture, and beat slowly to mix well. Fold in remaining whites until fairly well incorporated.
- 6. Scoop soufflé mixture equally into ramekins; mixture can mound above rims, but make sure it's not dripping over edges.
- 7. Bake in a 375° oven until soufflés are puffy and dry on the surface, about 8 minutes for very soft centers, 10 minutes for creamy centers, and 12 minutes for firm centers.
- 8. Transfer ramekins to plates and rub powdered sugar through a fine sieve onto soufflés. Offer whipped cream to top soufflés.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note