I made the lemon variation, and added a little thyme and black pepper. However, after taking them out of the oven, they were the same height as they were going in. They did not rise at all! 30 minutes was far, far, far, too long! At 20 and 25 min, they were still thin, but definitely not done on top. Still not burned, but at 26 minutes, it was all over! They tasted like burnt shortbread, but no other flavors. I might try again - maybe with other ingredients that will cause them to rose a bit - and maybe not burn!! I really want these to work!!
This rich chocolate shortbread recipe is easy to prepare and keeps for several days in an airtight container. Because this mixture is already dark, it's hard to tell when the shortbread browns. Check your oven temperature using an oven thermometer, and bake just until the shortbread is set.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 72
- Calories from fat: 60%
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 7g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 0.3mg
- Sodium: 42mg
- Calcium: 2mg
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened premium dark cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Cooking spray
- 1. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, cocoa, and salt in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
- 2. Place sugar, butter, and oil in a medium bowl; mix with hands until combined. Add flour mixture, and mix with hands until combined; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 3. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 4. Place dough on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; press dough into an 8 x 5–inch rectangle about 3/8-inch thick. Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or just until set. Cut shortbread into 24 pieces. Cool completely.
- Lemon Shortbread: You can also use grated orange rind in place of lemon. A little bit of cornstarch ensures a short texture in the cookies. Substitute 3 tablespoons cornstarch for the unsweetened cocoa. Add 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind to flour mixture. Knead dough lightly 4 times or just until smooth before chilling. Bake 30 minutes or just until set and edges are golden.
- CALORIES 74 (58% from fat); FAT 4.8g (sat 1.7g, mono 2g, poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 0.6g; CARB 7.5g; FIBER 0.2g; CHOL 6mg; IRON 0.3mg; SODIUM 42mg; CALC 2mg
- Brown Sugar Shortbread: Using light brown sugar yields sweet treats with caramel notes. These double easily; just bake each batch separately for the best results.
- Use a total of 5.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups), and substitute 3 tablespoons cornstarch for the cocoa. Omit powdered sugar and oil, and use 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar and 7 tablespoons butter (total), softened. Sprinkle dough with 1 1/2 teaspoons ice water; knead dough lightly 4 times or just until smooth. Bake for 25 minutes or just until set and edges are golden.
- CALORIES 74 (41% from fat); FAT 3.4g (sat 2.1g, mono 0.9g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 0.7g; CARB 10.4g; FIBER 0.2g; CHOL 9mg; IRON 0.4mg; SODIUM 50mg; CALC 6mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note