Chocolate Rum Cream Pie
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 package unflavored gelatin
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 (6-ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 baked (9-inch) pastry shell
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Additional whipped cream (optional)
- Combine 1 cup sugar, gelatin, and salt in a medium saucepan; add milk and egg yolks, stirring until well blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat, and add chocolate morsels; stir until chocolate melts. Add rum and vanilla; chill until mixture is the consistency of unbeaten egg whites.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until foamy; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold beaten egg whites into chilled chocolate mixture.
- Spoon two-thirds of chocolate mixture into pastry shell; cover with 1/2 cup whipped cream. Dollop remaining chocolate mixture onto whipped cream; swirl chocolate and whipped cream together. Chill until set. Garnish with additional whipped cream, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Pies/Pastries