Chocolate Pudding Pie with Salted Peanut Crust
Rich, smooth chocolate pudding in a crunchy crust, topped with whipped cream and salted peanuts.
More From Health
Chill: 3 Hours
- Calories: 234
- Fat: 13.5g
- Saturated fat: 7.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 93mg
- Calcium: 62mg
- For the crust
- 1/4 cup (1 oz) salted, roasted peanuts (finely ground in a food processor or crushed in a bag with a rolling pin)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup (2.5 oz) graham cracker crumbs (finely ground in a food processor)
- 4 tablespoons (2 oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 1.5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- For the filling
- 1/3 cup (2.33 oz) sugar
- 1/3 cup (1 oz) unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably natural
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 3 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Classic Whipped Cream, optional
- 2 tablespoons salted, roasted peanuts, optional
- 1. Position rack in lower third of the oven; preheat to 350°F.
- 2. To make the crust: Blend peanuts, sugar, graham cracker crumbs, and butter in mixing bowl until moistened. Spread in a 9-inch pie plate, using the bottom of a glass to press evenly over the bottom and up the sides. Bake until crust begins to set and colors slightly (12-14 minutes). If it puffs up while baking, press gently with the back of a fork.
- 3. Remove from oven, sprinkle chopped chocolate over bottom, and let soften for 1-2 minutes. With a pastry brush or back of a spoon, spread chocolate evenly all over. Cool, then chill until chocolate sets (about 30 minutes).
- 4. To make the filling: Whisk sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in a heavy medium saucepan. Add 3 TBSP of milk; whisk into a smooth paste. Whisk in remaining milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or spatula, scraping sides, until it thickens and bubbles at edges (about 5-8 minutes). Continue to cook and stir for 1 minute; add chocolate and stir briskly until melted and pudding is smooth (30 seconds more). Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Scrape into crust and level it with a spatula. Let cool for 1 hour, then refrigerate. Once filling is cool, cover and chill for several hours, or overnight. Top with Classic Whipped Cream; sprinkle with peanuts, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note