Notes: Dawn Dixon of Tucson, Arizona accompanies this gooey dessert with vanilla nonfat ice cream.
Sunset FEBRUARY 2000
1. Oil and flour an 8-inch square pan.
2. In a bowl, mix 1 cup all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, 1/4 cup chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Add 2 tablespoons salad oil and 1/2 cup buttermilk; stir until the thick batter is evenly moistened. Scrape batter into prepared pan and spread level.
3. In the same bowl (no need to wash), mix brown sugar with remaining 1/4 cup cocoa and 1/4 cup chocolate chips. Scatter over batter in pan. Evenly pour remaining 1 cup buttermilk over brown sugar mixture; do not stir.
4. Bake in a 350° oven until edges of cake feel firm and spring back when lightly pressed, about 40 minutes.
5. Let cool in pan on a rack at least 15 minutes. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature in bowls, scooping under cake to pan bottom to include pudding with each portion.
Go to full version of