I love to make this cake. It is so amazing. I make it for special occasions and it gets requested all the time. It's also great as a sheet cake.
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chocolate Ganache
- Praline Frosting
- Garnish: pecan halves
- Cook first 3 ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until butter melts and mixture is smooth; remove butter mixture from heat.
- Beat buttermilk, 2 eggs, baking soda, and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add butter mixture to buttermilk mixture, beating until well blended.
- Combine sugar, flour, and salt; gradually add to buttermilk mixture, beating until blended.
- Coat 3 (9-inch) round cakepans with cooking spray, and line pans with wax paper. Pour cake batter evenly into pans.
- Bake at 350° for 18 to 22 minutes or until cake is set. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread about 1/2 cup Chocolate Ganache between cake layers, and spread remaining ganache on sides of cake.
- Pour Praline Frosting slowly over the center of cake, gently spreading to edges, allowing some frosting to run over sides. Freeze, if desired; thaw at room temperature 4 to 6 hours. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This