1. In a food processor or blender, whirl chocolate until finely chopped. Pour into a bowl.
2. Add the egg to the food processor or blender.
3. In a 2-cup glass measure, heat whipping cream in a microwave oven at full power (100%) until cream boils, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
4. With processor or blender on high speed, add boiling cream to egg. Check temperature of mixture with an instant-read thermometer; if below 160°, pour mixture back into glass measure and reheat in microwave oven at full power just until it reaches 160°, stirring and checking at 15-second intervals.
5. Combine hot cream mixture and chopped chocolate in blender or processor; whirl until smooth, about 1 minute.
6. Pour chocolate mixture into 4 or 5 ramekins (1/2-cup size). Chill until softly set, 30 to 45 minutes.