Chocolate-Peppermint Shortbread Bars
Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour. Notes: To melt the chocolate, chop coarsely and place in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water (bottom of bowl should not touch water); stir frequently until melted and smooth, about 5 minutes. Store these frosted chocolate shortbread bars airtight for up to 2 days.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 75
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 0.6g
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 9.6g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 11mg
- Cholesterol: 9.4mg
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons finely crushed peppermint candy
- 1. In a food processor or bowl, whirl or stir flour, cocoa powder, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and the brown sugar and salt until well combined. Cut 1 cup butter into 1-inch slices; add to flour mixture and whirl or rub in with your fingers until mixture is blended and crumbly.
- 2. Scatter dough evenly in a 10- by 15-inch rimmed baking pan. With your palm, pat dough to cover pan bottom. Bake in a 300° oven until slightly firm and dry to the touch, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely on a rack.
- 3. In a bowl, beat melted chocolate, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, remaining 2 cups powdered sugar, and 3 tablespoons hot water until smooth. Spread evenly over shortbread.
- 4. Cut into 1- by 2-inch bars; sprinkle with crushed candy.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per bar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note