- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons finely crushed peppermint candy
- calories 75
- caloriesfromfat 49 %
- protein 0.6 g
- fat 4.1 g
- satfat 2.5 g
- carbohydrate 9.6 g
- fiber 0.0 g
- sodium 11 mg
- cholesterol 9.4 mg
How to Make It
In a food processor or bowl, whirl or stir flour, cocoa powder, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and the brown sugar and salt until well combined. Cut 1 cup butter into 1-inch slices; add to flour mixture and whirl or rub in with your fingers until mixture is blended and crumbly.
Scatter dough evenly in a 10- by 15-inch rimmed baking pan. With your palm, pat dough to cover pan bottom. Bake in a 300° oven until slightly firm and dry to the touch, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely on a rack.
In a bowl, beat melted chocolate, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, remaining 2 cups powdered sugar, and 3 tablespoons hot water until smooth. Spread evenly over shortbread.
Cut into 1- by 2-inch bars; sprinkle with crushed candy.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per bar.