The cake base must be study---very important to use NON-PUDDING mixes. Either Duncan Hines (no pudding in mix) or other decent brand such as Trader Joes. I don't think the size of the box is the issue 18 oz or 18.25. As long as it makes a two-layer cake. It's just a base. Level your cake layers i.e no domes or lop-sided cakes. Cakes that are not leveled properly WILL crack under the pressure of heavy fillings such as this mousse. They will also slide. You will be depressed. I always use a 'cake spatula' to move my cakes into position then I slide them onto the cake. Less handling, the better. Mousse---cool mixture completely before folding in the other ingredients. This is a great and beautiful cake if you take your time. Be Blessed.
Chocolate-Peanut Butter Mousse Cake
Photo: J. Savage Gibson; Styling: Trinda Gage
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package devil's food cake mix without pudding
- 2 1/2 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1 (10-ounce) package peanut butter morsels
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- Garnish: chopped roasted peanuts
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour into 2 lightly greased 8-inch round cakepans. Bake according to package directions. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely.
- Combine 2/3 cup whipping cream and peanut butter morsels in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until morsels melt and mixture is smooth; remove saucepan from heat. Stir in vanilla extract, and cool 25 minutes.
- Beat 1 1/3 cups whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Stir one-third whipped cream into peanut butter mixture. Fold into remaining whipped cream. Spread between cake layers; cover and chill.
- Bring remaining 1/2 cup whipping cream and 1 tablespoon butter to a boil in a small saucepan. Add chocolate morsels; remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Stir until morsels melt and mixture is smooth.
- Pour glaze over cake; garnish, if desired. Serve warm, or chill and serve at room temperature.
- Chocolate-Peanut Butter Mousse Parfaits: Cut cooled cake layers into cubes. Layer 8 Parfait glasses evnly with two-thirds peanut butter mixture, cake cubes, and half of cocolate mixture. Top with remaining peanut butter mixture and chocolate mixture; sprinkle each parfait with chopped peanuts, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This