Chocolate Pavlovas with Honeyed Strawberries
Some sources claim that this dessert was originated by an Australian chef in the 1920s for the ballerina Anna Pavlova. We updated the shells with a little cocoa in the meringue, which goes well with strawberries. Note: Pavlovas do not respond well to high humidity; if they soften, place in a low-heat oven for 5 minutes to crisp.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 173
- Calories from fat: 3%
- Fat: 0.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 41.5g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 104mg
- Calcium: 22mg
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons potato starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher for Passover vanilla extract
- 4 cups quartered strawberries (about 3 pints)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher for Passover vanilla extract
- Mint sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 275°.
- To prepare pavlovas, cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw 8 (4-inch) circles on paper. Turn paper over; secure with masking tape.
- Sift together cocoa and potato starch; set aside.
- Place salt and egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in vinegar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Sprinkle cocoa mixture over surface of egg white mixture; beat at low speed just until incorporated, scraping sides of bowl.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup egg white mixture into each drawn circle on prepared baking sheet. Spread egg white mixture onto the circles using the back of a spoon; make an indentation in the center of each meringue circle to form a nest. Bake at 275° for 1 hour. Turn oven off; cool meringues in closed oven at least 12 hours or until completely dry. Carefully remove meringues from paper. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare strawberries, combine berries and remaining ingredients in a bowl; toss gently. Cover and chill at least 1 hour; toss gently before serving. Place 1 meringue circle on each of 8 plates. Top each serving with 1/2 cup berry mixture. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chocolate Pavlovas with Honeyed Strawberries Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This