I've made this several times --- each time getting tons of compliments ! Very easy recipe and makes a wonderful presentation !
Impressive as it looks, this easy four-ingredient chocolate dessert takes some wonderfully simple shortcuts. Start with a package of double chocolate muffin mix; add fresh oranges (zest and juice) and chopped almonds. Next, drizzle your masterpiece with a cooked syrup of OJ and sugar.
More From Real Simple
- Calcium: 55mg
- Calories: 491
- Calories from fat: 0%
- Carbohydrate: 81g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Fat: 17g
- Fiber: 2g
- Iron: 2mg
- Protein: 6mg
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Sodium: 366mg
- 1 2 1/4-ounce package slivered almonds (1/2 cup)
- 4 oranges
- 1 20-ounce package double-chocolate muffin mix
- 1 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 375° F. Lightly coat a 9-inch round cake pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Finely chop the almonds. Grate 1 teaspoon orange zest from one of the oranges and cut strips of zest from another to use for garnish. Squeeze 1 1/2 cups juice from the oranges.
- Prepare the muffin mix according to the label directions but substitute 3/4 cup of the orange juice for water and blend in the chopped almonds and grated zest. Pour into pan. Bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool torte in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar and the remaining 3/4 cup orange juice. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes. To serve, spoon the sauce over the torte and garnish with the orange-zest strips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note