Made this for my niece who has celiac disease. Everyone loved it! Easy to make. Really excellent recipe
Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
"I have a friend who has celiac disease, and he moaned to me that he'd never eat another chocolate cake. So I did this gluten-free recipe for him. It's my go-to dessert right now; it's like a fudgy brownie."
More From Health
- Calories: 272
- Fat: 0.0g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 0.0g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 0.0mg
- Calcium: 0.0mg
- 2/3 cup regular olive oil, plus more for greasing cake pan
- 6 tablespoons good-quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal or 3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9-inch springform cake pan with a little oil and line base of pan with parchment paper.
- 2. Sift cocoa powder into a bowl and whisk in boiling water until you have a smooth, chocolaty, still runny (but only just) paste. Whisk in vanilla extract and set aside to let cool.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine almond meal (or flour) with baking soda and a pinch of salt.
- 4. Put sugar, olive oil and eggs into bowl of a freestanding mixer with a paddle attachment (or use other bowl and whisk). Beat vigorously until mixture is pale-primrose, aerated, thickened and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- 5. Turn down mixer speed a little and beat in cocoa mixture. Slowly add almond-meal mixture.
- 6. Turn off mixer. Scrape down sides of bowl and stir a little with a spatula. Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake until sides of cake are set and very center, on top, still looks slightly damp, 40 to 45 minutes. A cake tester should come up mainly clean but with a few sticky chocolate crumbs clinging to it.
- 7. Let cake cool in its pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Ease sides of cake with a small metal spatula and spring cake out of pan. Leave to cool completely or serve warm with ice cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note