This review is for the concept and the frosting. I use another chocolate cake recipe instead (darker). The frosting is superb - don't refrigerate cake with frosting - gets too hard. Frosting can take various amts of time to beat - should end up with pudding-like consistency that does not sag off spatula. Pipe extra onto cake in squiggles. We call this the "Peppermint Patty Cake", and it always gets raves
This rich holiday cake is a show-stopper that will become a family holiday classic recipe.
Don't be tempted to substitute peppermint extract for the peppermint oil used in this recipe. Peppermint oil, available from cake-supply stores, has an intense, highly concentrated flavor like that found in chocolate-covered peppermint patties.
- Chocolate Velvet Cake Batter
- 1/2 recipe Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint oil
- Chocolate Ganache
- Spoon batter evenly into 2 greased and floured 10-inch round cakepans. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire rack.
- Stir together Vanilla Buttercream Frosting and peppermint oil until well blended. Spread frosting mixture evenly between cake layers. Spread Chocolate Ganache evenly over top and sides of cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note