Making your own marshmallows is worth the effort. This recipe is very easy to follow and the results are impressive. We gift a batch of these to our foodie friends every holiday season.
Photo: Romulo Yanes; Styling: Rachel Haas
More From Cooking Light
Total: 2 Hours, 50 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 112
- Fat: 1.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 1.1g
- Carbohydrate: 26.7g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.2mg
- Sodium: 16mg
- Calcium: 4mg
- 1 cup water, divided
- 3 (1/4-ounce) packages unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light-colored corn syrup
- Dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1. Pour 1/2 cup water into a small microwave-safe bowl, and sprinkle with gelatin.
- 2. Combine remaining 1/2 cup water, sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a medium heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 250°. Pour sugar mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer; let stand until a candy thermometer registers 210°.
- 3. Microwave gelatin mixture at HIGH for 20 seconds or until gelatin melts, stirring after 10 seconds. With mixer on low speed, beat sugar mixture using a whip attachment; gradually pour gelatin mixture in a thin stream into sugar mixture. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Increase speed to high; whip mixture at high speed until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Reduce mixer to medium speed, and gradually add 1/4 cup cocoa; beat until combined. Using a spatula coated with cooking spray, scrape mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray; smooth top. Let stand 2 hours.
- 4. Sift together powdered sugar, cornstarch, and 2 teaspoons cocoa into a jelly-roll pan. Using an offset spatula coated with cooking spray, remove marshmallow from pan; place in sugar mixture. Using scissors well coated with powdered sugar mixture, cut marshmallows into 78 (1-inch) squares. Dust with powdered sugar mixture; shake to remove excess sugar mixture.
- 5. Arrange marshmallows on a cooling rack placed on a rimmed baking sheet. Place bittersweet chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH for 1 minute or until melted, stirring every 20 seconds until smooth. Drizzle melted chocolate over marshmallows; let stand until chocolate is set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts