Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 23 minutes; other: 1 hour
Ground hazelnuts add flavor and bits of crunch to this moist, flourless cake from Capri. Substitute almonds for the hazelnuts, if desired. Or leave out the nuts for a deliciously dark chocolate cake with an incredibly smooth texture.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 191
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Protein: 5.1g
- Carbohydrate: 30.3g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 41mg
- Calcium: 36mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 3 ounces premium semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup ground toasted hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon powdered sugar (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Coat an 8-inch springform pan with cooking spray, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cocoa; set aside.
- 3. Combine chopped chocolate, 1/2 cup sugar, milk, and 1/3 cup cocoa in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat 3 minutes or until chocolate melts, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat. Gradually add hot chocolate mixture to 2 eggs in a bowl, stirring constantly. Return chocolate mixture to pan.
- 4. Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Gently fold one-third of egg white mixture into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining egg white mixture and hazelnuts. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Serve with whipped topping. Dust with cocoa and powdered sugar, if desired.
- Note: Grind toasted nuts in a food processor.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note