This was my first time making meringues, but I'm very pleased with the way they came out. I followed the recipe as written, but only came out with about 24 medium-sized cookies. The flavor is nice and chocolatey and the hazelnuts provide crunch, but unfortunately you can't tast the nuts very much, so next time I'll probably add more. Otherwise, a good cookie for snacking on.
Chocolate-Hazelnut Meringue Kisses
Piping cookies from a pastry bag is a lot of fun, and the work goes quickly. But you can just as easily make these into drop cookies, if you prefer. Just drop them by level tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 94
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 2.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 1.8g
- Carbohydrate: 16.8g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 26mg
- Calcium: 4mg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash of salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2. Combine first 3 ingredients in a food processor; process until finely ground. Combine hazelnut mixture, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, and cornstarch in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- 3. Place egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Add granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold hazelnut mixture and vanilla into egg mixture.
- 4. Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper. Spoon egg white mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip. Pipe 48 (1 1/2-inch-round) mounds onto prepared baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or until meringues are done and dry to the touch. (Meringues are done when surface is dry and meringues can be removed from paper without sticking to fingers.) Turn oven off; partially open oven door. Cool meringues in oven 30 minutes. Remove from oven; carefully remove meringues from paper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chocolate-Hazelnut Meringue Kisses Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cookies
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Gifts, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: French
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Nuts, Rice/Grains
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Calorie, Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Christmas
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light