I have made this a few times for dinner parties, it's always a hit. I have used multigrain bread with success also.
Chocolate-Hazelnut Bread Pudding
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 277
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 8.2g
- Carbohydrate: 44.8g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 275mg
- Calcium: 133mg
- 1 1/3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Frangelico (hazelnut-flavored liqueur)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed French bread (about 8 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
- 2 cups vanilla low-fat ice cream
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat 3 minutes or until chocolate melts, stirring constantly (do not boil).
- Combine egg whites and egg in a large bowl; gradually add hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in liqueur, vanilla, and salt. Add bread, tossing gently to coat.
- Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover with foil; chill 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sprinkle hazelnuts evenly over pudding. Place dish in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve each bread pudding piece warm with 1/4 cup ice cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts