- 1 1/3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Frangelico (hazelnut-flavored liqueur)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed French bread (about 8 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
- 2 cups vanilla low-fat ice cream
- calories 277
- caloriesfromfat 22 %
- fat 6.7 g
- satfat 2.8 g
- monofat 2.4 g
- polyfat 0.5 g
- protein 8.2 g
- carbohydrate 44.8 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 32 mg
- iron 1.5 mg
- sodium 275 mg
- calcium 133 mg
How to Make It
Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat 3 minutes or until chocolate melts, stirring constantly (do not boil).
Combine egg whites and egg in a large bowl; gradually add hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in liqueur, vanilla, and salt. Add bread, tossing gently to coat.
Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover with foil; chill 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Sprinkle hazelnuts evenly over pudding. Place dish in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve each bread pudding piece warm with 1/4 cup ice cream.