I have gotten rave reviews from my co-workers on this bread. It is a nice twist on regular banana bread and actually requires quite a bit LESS sugar than my traditional recipe. As a side note, I accidentally left out the balance of the Canola Oil when making my batter and never missed it in the end result. It was still nice and moist and very soft. So if you want to eliminate even more fat, just leave out the balance of oil after adding a teaspoon to the Nutella. This recipe was very simple and straight forward.
Chocolate-Hazelnut Banana Bread
Use a light hand when swirling the batter; too much swirling may lose the stripe effect.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 2 Minutes
- Calories: 193
- Fat: 9.7g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 3.4g
- Carbohydrate: 24.6g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 186mg
- Calcium: 28mg
- 5 tablespoons chocolate-hazelnut spread (such as Nutella)
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 medium ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup whole buttermilk
- Baking spray with flour (such as Baker's Joy)
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Combine chocolate-hazelnut spread and 1 teaspoon oil in a microwave-safe dish; microwave at HIGH for 30 seconds or until melted. Stir. Combine 3 tablespoons oil, butter, brown sugar, and banana in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beating at low speed, add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat just until combined. Scrape half of batter into a 9 x 5-inch metal loaf pan coated with baking spray, and top with chocolate-hazelnut spread mixture. Spread remaining batter over chocolate mixture. Using a wooden pick, swirl batter. Sprinkle batter with hazelnuts.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread; cool on wire rack.
- 5. Place bittersweet chocolate in a microwave-safe dish; microwave at high for 30 seconds. Drizzle bread with chocolate; let stand until set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads