I am a baker and I had been very skeptical of low-fat recipes for baked goods. I thought this was delicious. I am adding it to my rotation. I did not have a problem with the Nutella sinking to the bottom. I also could not find full-fat buttermilk so used low-fat. Otherwise did not change anything.
Chocolate-Hazelnut Banana Bread
Photo: Hannah Whitaker; Styling: Tizana Agnello
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 2 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 193
- Fat: 9.7g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 3.4g
- Carbohydrate: 24.6g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 186mg
- Calcium: 28mg
- 5 tablespoons chocolate-hazelnut spread (such as Nutella)
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 medium ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup whole buttermilk
- Baking spray with flour (such as Baker's Joy)
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Combine chocolate-hazelnut spread and 1 teaspoon oil in a microwave-safe dish; microwave at HIGH for 30 seconds or until melted. Stir. Combine 3 tablespoons oil, butter, brown sugar, and banana in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beating at low speed, add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat just until combined. Scrape half of batter into a 9 x 5-inch metal loaf pan coated with baking spray, and top with chocolate-hazelnut spread mixture. Spread remaining batter over chocolate mixture. Using a wooden pick, swirl batter. Sprinkle batter with hazelnuts.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread; cool on wire rack.
- 5. Place bittersweet chocolate in a microwave-safe dish; microwave at high for 30 seconds. Drizzle bread with chocolate; let stand until set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads