Chocolate-Fromage Blanc Brownies
Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour. Notes: These dark, fudgy brownies have a cheesecake swirl. Fromage blanc is a tangy, fresh cheese available in some well-stocked supermarkets and in specialty cheese shops. If you can't find it, you can substitute 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature, and 4 ounces sour cream; beat together until smooth before using in step 2. Store the brownies airtight for up to 1 day.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 497
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Protein: 9.3g
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 68g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Sodium: 220mg
- Cholesterol: 148mg
- 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter, cut into chunks
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces fromage blanc (see notes)
- 1. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over low heat, stir butter and chocolate until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and 2 cups sugar. Transfer to a bowl. Add 4 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in flour and baking powder until well blended.
- 2. In another bowl, mix fromage blanc, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and remaining egg until well blended.
- 3. Spread half the chocolate mixture evenly in a buttered and floured 9-inch square baking pan. Pour cheese mixture evenly over chocolate. Drop 1/4-cup portions of remaining chocolate mixture on top, partially, but not completely, covering cheese mixture.
- 4. Bake brownies in a 325° oven until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool in pan on a rack for at least 20 minutes, then cut into 9 squares.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per brownie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note