Very chocolatey and rich, but it needed vanilla ice cream or something. I preferred the chocolate pecan chess pie I made at the same time.
Chocolate-Espresso Torte with Raspberry Sauce
This elegant dessert is a perfect finale for a large dinner party.
Yield: Makes 12 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 475
- Calories from fat: 68%
- Protein: 5.9g
- Fat: 36g
- Saturated fat: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Sodium: 266mg
- Cholesterol: 168mg
- About 1 1/2 cups (3/4 lb.) butter or margarine, cut into chunks
- 3/4 pound bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup espresso
- About 1 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 5 cups raspberries, rinsed
- 1 cup marionberries or blackberries
- Fresh mint sprigs, rinsed
- 1. Butter and flour an 8-inch cheesecake pan.
- 2. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over low heat, frequently stir chocolate, 1 1/2 cups butter, espresso, and 3/4 cup sugar just until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth, 12 to 15 minutes.
- 3. In a bowl, beat eggs to blend. Whisk in chocolate mixture until well blended. Pour into cheesecake pan.
- 4. Bake torte in a 350° regular or convection oven until center barely jiggles when pan is gently shaken, about 40 minutes. Let cool on a rack for 30 minutes (center of torte will sink), then chill until cold, at least 1 1/2 hours.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, whirl 1 quart raspberries until smooth. Rub purée through a fine strainer into a bowl; discard seeds. Stir 1/4 cup sugar into raspberry puree; taste, and add more sugar if desired.
- 6. Spoon raspberry sauce equally onto plates. Run a knife between torte and pan rim; remove rim. Cut torte into wedges. Arrange a wedge on sauce on each plate. Scatter remaining 1 cup raspberries and marionberries over desserts, and garnish with mint sprigs. Serve with scoops of lemon sherbet.
- Note: If you don't have an espresso machine, buy prepared espresso from a coffee shop or use strong brewed coffee: Pour 3/4 cup hot (about 195°) water through 1/3 cup ground coffee in a filter cone. If making torte and sauce up to 1 day ahead, chill separately airtight.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chocolate-Espresso Torte with Raspberry Sauce Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cakes/Frostings
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining
- CUISINE: American, Pacific Northwest
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Chocolate
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Blender, Food Processor, Bake
- OCCASION: Spring, Summer, Easter, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Sunset
More Recipes Like This