Absolutely terrific. Silky with a deep flavor -- if desired to make without a pronounced coffee flavor, only add 1/2 T. of espresso, instead of the 1 T, which brings out the chocolate flavor. Use large eggs only.
Chocolate-Espresso Pots de Crème with Benne Seed Coins
Benne (an African word for sesame) seed cookies are a traditional Gullah recipe. The creamy chocolate mousse–like dessert makes a good contrast with these crispy treats. For a twist, we added coconut and almonds to give the cookie a sweeter flavor and extra texture.
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- Benne Seed Coins
- Whisk together first 6 ingredients in top of double boiler; add chocolate. Pour water to a depth of 1 inch into bottom of double boiler over medium heat, and bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, whisking constantly, 15 minutes or until mixture reaches 160º. Mixture will be moderately thickened and will thicken more as it cools. Remove from heat. Divide chocolate mixture evenly among 6 serving cups. Cover and chill overnight. Garnish with Benne Seed Coins.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note