These came out soooo nicely! I made two coconut macaroon recipes tonight in order to see the difference between an "egg-white" version and a "sweetened condensed milk" version and this won (taste wise) out of the two! I didn't dip them in chocolate because I don't think they need it! And it reduces the calories significantly. (But I think if you have a chocolate craving just drizzling a bit of dark chocolate on top would be a good idea.)
Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Macaroons
These coconut macaroons are the perfect chocolate-dipped treat for the ones you love.
Yield: Makes about 24 macaroons
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 285
- Calories from fat: 47%
- Protein: 3.1g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Sodium: 124mg
- Cholesterol: 6.6mg
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups lightly packed sweetened flaked dried coconut
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until frothy. Beat in vanilla, sugar, and flour until well blended. Stir in coconut.
- 2. Drop dough in 1-tablespoon portions, about 2 inches apart, onto buttered and floured or cooking parchment- lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- 3. Bake in a 325° oven until macaroons are golden, about 20 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking. With a wide spatula, transfer macaroons to racks to cool completely.
- 4. In a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water (bottom of bowl should not touch water), stir butter and chocolate often until smooth, 5 minutes. Hold a macaroon on one edge and dip other side into chocolate to coat half the cookie. Shake off excess chocolate. Set macaroon on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat to dip remainder. Chill, uncovered, until chocolate is firm, about 30 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
To store, chill cookies airtight for up to 1 week.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts