Great recipe! Made 2 pies at once. Made the two graham cracker crusts individually, but doubled the filling recipe. A heavy 3qt saucepan is the minimum size for a double batch, 31/2 or 4 qt even better. I used a Ghiradelli 60% cocoa dark chocolate bar in place of the semi sweet chocolate called for. Delicious!
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner
This lightened version of classic chocolate cream pie features a smooth, rich chocolate filling and a creamy topping, but has only 8 grams of fat per serving.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 242
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrate: 38.5g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 189mg
- Calcium: 83mg
- 40 graham crackers (10 full cracker sheets)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, melted
- 1 large egg white
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- 3/4 teaspoon grated semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare crust, place crackers in a food processor; process until crumbly. Add 2 tablespoons sugar, butter, and egg white; pulse 6 times or just until moist. Press crumb mixture into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes; cool on a wire rack 15 minutes.
- To prepare filling, combine 1/2 cup milk, 2/3 cup sugar, and next 4 ingredients (2/3 cup sugar through egg) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Heat 1 1/2 cups milk in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Remove from heat. Gradually add hot milk to sugar mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return milk mixture to pan. Add chopped chocolate; cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 5 minutes), stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour into prepared crust; cover surface of filling with plastic wrap. Chill 3 hours or until cold. Remove plastic wrap; spread whipped topping evenly over filling. Sprinkle with grated chocolate.
- Note: If you want to serve this with a dessert wine, try Thomas "Razz," nonvintage Washington State. It's made from raspberries, which go well with chocolate. If your wine shop doesn't carry it, ask them to order it for you.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chocolate-Cream Pie Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Pies/Pastries
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Chocolate
- COOKING METHOD: Food Processor, Bake
- OCCASION: Christmas, Easter, Father's Day, Mother's Day, New Year's, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Desserts