Chocolate Cream Filling
Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 8 minutes; Chill: 1 hour.
This recipe goes with Chocolate Banana Cream Tart
Yield: Makes about 2 1/2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks, at room temperature*
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or dark rum (optional)
- 1. Heat milk in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat until just under a boil. Remove from heat. Whisk together egg yolks and next 3 ingredients in a stainless steel bowl. Whisk a small amount of hot milk into yolk mixture to temper. Whisk yolk mixture into remaining hot milk in saucepan.
- 2. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking slowly, 7 minutes or until mixture thickens and starts to bubble. Remove from heat, and stir in chopped chocolate, softened butter, and, if desired, bourbon.
- 3. Place plastic wrap on surface to prevent skin formation. Chill over an ice bath until completely cool. Filling may be chilled up to 2 days before using.
- *To bring eggs to room temperature safely, remove from refrigerator, and place in a bowl for 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts