Chocolate and orange is one of my favorite dessert combinations so I could not resist trying this gluten-free recipe. The end product is a light textured brownie due to the folded egg whites. I miss the dense brownie mouth feel, but I like the flavor combination.
Chocolate Citrus Almond Torte
The combination of chocolate, orange, and almonds in this recipe is a classic. Prep and Cook Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes, plus cooling time.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 612
- Calories from fat: 68%
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 46g
- Saturated fat: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 50g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Sodium: 406mg
- Cholesterol: 213mg
- 1 1/4 cups whole blanched almonds, toasted
- 8 ounces good-quality bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting cake
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh orange zest
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon zest
- 14 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 10-in. springform pan with cooking spray.
- 2. In a food processor, pulse almonds and bittersweet chocolate until finely ground. Add cocoa and pulse to combine.
- 3. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, orange juice, orange zest, and lemon zest until the mixture is thick and pale. Beat in the chocolate-almond mixture and melted butter.
- 4. In a clean bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form; do not overbeat.
- 5. Gently fold whites into chocolate mixture, then pour into the prepared pan.
- 6. Bake until cake pulls away from edges of pan and top is well browned, about 50 minutes. Let cool completely on a rack. To serve, run a knife around cake, release pan, and cut cake into wedges. Garnish with a light dusting of cocoa powder if you like.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts