- 1 1/4 cups whole blanched almonds, toasted
- 8 ounces good-quality bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting cake
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh orange zest
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon zest
- 14 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- calories 612
- caloriesfromfat 68 %
- protein 12 g
- fat 46 g
- satfat 20 g
- carbohydrate 50 g
- fiber 4.6 g
- sodium 406 mg
- cholesterol 213 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 10-in. springform pan with cooking spray.
In a food processor, pulse almonds and bittersweet chocolate until finely ground. Add cocoa and pulse to combine.
In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, orange juice, orange zest, and lemon zest until the mixture is thick and pale. Beat in the chocolate-almond mixture and melted butter.
In a clean bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form; do not overbeat.
Gently fold whites into chocolate mixture, then pour into the prepared pan.
Bake until cake pulls away from edges of pan and top is well browned, about 50 minutes. Let cool completely on a rack. To serve, run a knife around cake, release pan, and cut cake into wedges. Garnish with a light dusting of cocoa powder if you like.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.